Saturday, January 31, 2009

Brownie

Brownie with the crackling crust.
As I don't bake with eggs, I looked for substitutions for the 4 large eggs (squirm!) called for in the recipe. Most often, I just ignore the eggs entirely, [sure the texture is different (read, dense) without the protein (which envelopes the little pockets of air and makes the cake light)] but here they were the only liquid used. I resorted to a combination of yogurt, sour cream, oil and baking powder. Perhaps it was the fat from 3 of the 4 substitutions, the brownie was greasy. Next time it will be water or coffee. The recipe calls for cake flour which I used. Now, cake flour is low on protein and without the eggs, made this a brownie with a very tender crumb. The cracks on the crust made up for the dense texture and excessive sweetness. Will make this again with chocolate bars (this time I used chips) and will go easy on the sugar. I served it with white chocolate ganache. Very nice!
(as I finished off writing, this was playing in my head: MochaChocaLatta ya ya and I see someone else was thinking along the same lines...)
and oh yeah, did I mention I love my new 13" by 9" baking pan?...first the baklava and then the brownie...quite a record there already...

No comments:

Post a Comment