Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Baklava

Happy Birthday DH! May the new year be as rich and fulfilling!
Mighty pleased, for I battled sheets that tore on me and sheets that stuck on me, yes I'm referring to the much feared, phyllo dough and I prevailed. Behold, the delicious baklava!
Some things to note:
Thawing phyllo dough in the microwave for 60 seconds instead of in the refrigerator or the kitchen, is a great idea.
Go ahead and put that plastic wrapping over the waiting dough and cover it with a damp tea towel (a few drops of rose water in the water does not hurt).
I ran out of the 8 ounces of clarified butter towards the end and resorted to oil. Next time, will have more handy!
I cut the baklava before putting it in the oven (the thought of cutting through fragile, crisp sheets was unnerving).
I see a lot of syrup still waiting to be absorbed. Next time, will try pouring it as soon as the pastry comes out of the oven.
Other flavourings i have read include, cloves and cardamom. And lemon zest and juice for the syrup.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment